Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Google no-no

Ok, this is going to be short today, but still VERY important.

In one of my free sites (www.freemulah.com) and one of my built to order sites (www.delightmenow.com) I had bad links on them. On had a pointer to a webpage that wasn't there, the other had an a href="www@email.address". Obviously neither could be found.

Well the first thing that happens is that Google flags the bad links and quits coming back to revue your site. I have another site that I purposely didn't do anything with until it was 'ready' (www.bouncingtatas.com). That site has been fully read by Google in a weeks time. The other 2 sites haven't been visited in over 2 weeks by Google.

So how do you make sure you don't have any bad links? My suggestion is you use Googles FREE tool to create a site map. Even if you don't use the site map for submission you can use it to find bad links on your website. So open up your browser and go to http://www.auditmypc.com/xml-sitemap.asp. This will get you there.

Now the one thing that I have found about this tool is you have to close your browser if you make corrections to your site and want to recheck. The second thing is that I have found that if you save your project and come back to it that it doesn't work right either. So every time I want to check a site I close out of my webpage and start a new project. You'll get frustrated trying to fix your websites if you don't do those two things, and neither are documented.

So make sure you have your blog up and running, and that you have no bad links.

Happy Surfing
-Dennis

No comments: