Monday, February 18, 2008

Starting from scratch

You know sometimes when you are going to do something it's easier if you go to the end and work your way back. Try that with a maze and see if it's easier going forwards or backwards. I believe that website SEO can be the same thing. It's easier if you go to where you want to be and work backwards into your design.

I've recently done that with a website I did for a client. Mark from ADS asked me to design a website for him for his home theater, audio/video stuff. So I did. First I asked him "what words do you want to be found at, and then worked my way back from there.

So I went and registered his website as www.adsavd.com. 6 letters, nice and short. Honestly if I could do it again I might of choosen adsaudio.com or something like that so that it had the name in the link.

But then when I wrote the pages I would write the text to match the metatags that I had already written. I knew I wanted audio, video, custom installations, etc on every page. So I wrote the text to match that. Because this is a San Antonio Texas company, I made sure that it was put on every page.

Now when I'm done he might not get the #1 slot for audio video in general, but if they put San Antonio on the link, I expect it to be definitely first page. And what does first page bring you? It brings you traffic!! And what does traffic bring you? It brings you business!!

So if you're wanting to build a site, make sure that you start at the end, where you want to be listed, and then build the site from there.

Happy Surfing
-Dennis

No comments: